Friday, May 13, 2011

What the #@$%! is a Blue Book?

When I first got into college, there were some things I didn't understand.  One of the first things?  Blue Books.  Effing Blue Books.  So what are they?

That's a Blue Book

Blue Books are little, blue-cover booklets full of wide rule notebook paper in which you can write answers to essay questions on tests.  I don't know how much some schools use them, but we never used them in high school.  In college, I think I've only used them for two or three classes.  Teachers usually leave space for you to write, or do multiple choice.  Blue Books are an inexplicable necessity for some tests, though, so just to be prepared, keep a spare in your bag/notebook.

Sidenote: Green Books are exactly like Blue Books, except they're green and made of recycled paper.  If your teacher cares, they have issues.

Similarly, scantrons.  We used scantrons in high school, but there are many different types.  There are normal scantrons, and giant scantrons.  I've only ever used the normal size ones.


scantron, normal

Basically, you write your name on it, and fill in the information, then fill in the little bubbles with a #2 pencil or possibly a pen.  I've never been brave enough to risk trying a pen to see if it works, but I've heard tale that it does.  These are for multiple choice tests and are the number one choice of lazy guesswork.  I've had scantrons tests in my worst subjects, and I usually do pretty badly on them.  Point is, don't guess.  

Also, don't get freaked out about the order of the bubbles  you fill in.  It's probably fine to get 5 Ds in a row....right?  I mean....



Image sources:  http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_oIioyWl6NnQ/Rwo4uYvTQ2I/AAAAAAAAAH0/7KmFI4IHsP0/s320/blue+book.jpg

and 

http://www.math.tamu.edu/~shatalov/ScantronForm882ES.gif

No comments:

Post a Comment