Saturday, April 16, 2011

A Little Bit

Sigh.  Being a senior in college sucks.  Since I hate school and just want to graduate already, I'm taking more than my usual course load -if I'm taking hard classes, I only like to take 3 a term.  However, I'm taking 4 hard/labor-intensive courses this term.  Plus, I'm working Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays, and going to the gym in between classes or class and work.  This means I don't have as much free time as I'd like.

So, not that anybody reads this anyway, but it all evens out to me being tired and stressed out and lazy.  Mostly lazy.  I have not been updating this blog as frequently as I'd like to, but, like I said, nobody really reads this in any case.  Ah hah.

But, for the record, this term so far is going decently.

I'm taking Cultural & Political Ecology, which is a geography course about...well, I'm not entirely sure what it's exactly about, but basically it's about how the ecology of a place can influence culture and politics.  It's interesting, to be sure, but I'm not a huge fan of the idea that the environment is the ONLY factor that makes a culture what it is -humans are so weird and diverse.  I think the environment plays a big part in forming cultures and lifestyles, but I dunno.  Plus, we're reading Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond, and I'm not a huge fan of that blowhard.  My term paper for this class is going to be looking at the environmental justice movement as a response to environmental racism.  The teacher seems excited about it.

In my Wetland Ecology class, which I had to struggle to get into, I now struggle to stay awake.  I'm sorry.  The teacher is my advisor, and he's pretty nice, but....HOLY CRAP he just isn't a good lecturer.  Think, Ben Stein voice but older and with a stutter.  Still, I love wetlands and I love ecology, and I am learning classes.  For this term paper, I'm not sure what I want to research -it's a research proposal meant to fill in a gap in current research, and I don't even know where to begin =_= sigh.

My favorite class this term is probably my World Population and Food Supply class.  It's so interesting to learn about where how our populations are growing, where people are going, and how we're globally going to sustain ourselves.  I'm also super interested in food issues, think Michael Pollan, so this class is good.  The teacher is excellent, very nice and very interesting.  For my term paper in THIS class, I'm going to be researching the history of...chocolate! :D or cocoa.  Whatever.  I'm excited.

I'm also taking Environmental Management this term, which I like, partly because I generally get along with my fellow Environmental Science/Studies majors better than other people, partly because the teacher's so nice, and partly because I do like the subject.  I don't like allllllllll the reading I have to do for this class, but it's a part of life I guess.

The good thing about this term is that I won't have many/any finals to come for, or hardly any tests.  Yay!

Anyway, I'm tired, so I'm out

No comments:

Post a Comment